Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Confessions of a VBS Junkie

I have always loved VBS [Vacation Bible School, for the uninitiated]. As a small child I eagerly looked forward to a week full of Bible lessons, crafts, music, koolaid and cookies. Then as I got older, I looked forward to being a helper each summer and FINALLY I was an actual VBS teacher! At every church we served, I held some role in VBS - Bible story teacher, music leader, and even VBS Director. I, literally, can't imagine a summer without VBS.
Now that I am no longer the pastor's wife and no one just "assumes" that I will take part, I have enjoyed volunteering to be the music leader. It would be an understatement to say that I have had a ball!! I have been so excited that I went online back in November to sneak a "listen" to the upcoming VBS songs. Several weeks ago I received the CD to listen to and begin to learn the song lyrics. That has been great and I think these will be the best songs yet. However, I didn't have the DVD to watch so I can learn the "moves." For you VBS novices, the music is now very lively/energetic and requires certain motions and signs [as in sign language]. I have not-so-patiently been waiting for the DVD for several weeks. But when I went to church tonight . . . there it was!!! Yeah!!! I almost opted to skip Bible study so I could hurry home to watch, but I decided I could wait a couple more hours [trying to be an adult].
So now I am home and attempting to learn the songs and motions. I realize that VBS isn't until June, but I can't seem to learn things as quickly as I used to. I have to confess that I am no longer a youngster, or a young adult, or someone having a midlife crisis. I am a mature woman who loves music, dancing, and working with children. Please don't tell me that I'm too old for VBS. I even asked a couple of my friends from church if they thought I was too old to keep leading the music and shouldn't they get someone younger. They said "no" that no one loves it as much as me or has as much energy as me. So, don't be surprised if one day you see some old, wrinkled woman leading VBS music, doing wheelies in her wheelchair. That will be me!

2 comments:

danakat said...

Mom, this was a precious post. It made me smile. See? :)
I don't care how "old" you get, NO ONE can touch you at what you do. And you may think you are privileged to be a part of VBS, but it's really everyone else who is blessed.

So glad to see you have some fun new widgets on your sidebar. Sorry we've been out of sorts. I haven't been on the computer much. Duh. :)

Julie said...

Aw...I just wish my boys could have you for VBS. :)

You'll just have to video yourself singing & doing the moves so Trevor can watch it over & over like he did with your Christmas ones! "Old St. Nicholas had a tree...Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!..."