There is evidence all around that spring has arrived in full force in Decatur, Alabama. Especially right around me. If I look across the driveway at the duplex to the left I see this . . .
If I look at the duplex on my side I see this . . .
You don't want to know what you'll see if you look at our place! It isn't pretty, but it is easy care. For me that is of utmost importance. Everyone was working out in their yards and on their gardens the past few days. Bro. Windsor planted his green beans on Good Friday and now has added some tomato plants. And Mr. Russell has planted these plants, which I think are broccoli.
You may remember that Mr. Russell is our wonderful neighbor who let us plant two rows of beans and tomatoes in his garden spot last year. Well, I told him that this year all I want is a couple of tomato plants that I will plant at my house. I will not be a bother to him this year. This year is no muss, no fuss gardening that will produce delicious tomatoes!
So this afternoon it was my time to plant. I planted two tomato plants in the birdbath area at the end of our house. I know you are impressed.
If you look closely you will see my handiwork. However, all is not as it seems. Please let me explain. Last week when I told Mr. Russell of my wish to plant just a "couple of tomato plants", he immediately showed me the "4" tomato plants in little containers in his garage that he would give me to plant. I thanked him very much and proceeded to show him where I thought I would plant them -- by the birdbath and in the protected area where they would not be "mowed down". Later that afternoon I noticed some pieces of wood thrown at the end of my house. The next day Mr. Russell had made a little planter and told me I could plant two in it and two at the birdbath. He said that as soon as he had time, he would dig up the areas for me. This morning he rang the doorbell and told me we needed to get those tomatoes planted today. I thanked him very much and said that I would after lunch and the "A" Day Game. This is what awaited me.
As you can see, not only had he dug up the soil, but he had placed sticks to show me where and how deep I needed to plant them. He had brought over the plants, a wheelbarrow with extra soil if needed, and a shovel.
I, basically, just had to get the plants out of the pots, put them in the ground, and water them. Mr. Russell is retired, but he can run rings around me. Oh, did I tell you that he [and his sweet wife] are 90? It's true. Aren't our neighbors amazing?
Happy 15th Anniversary to an AMAZING couple ;)
14 years ago

2 comments:
Wow! What a SWEET neighbor! Love you guys!
Send him my way - I could use the help.
Jim
Post a Comment